It's Not All Black and White

Monday, June 18, 2007

Pretend Stamping Friends (PSF's)

So, do you have people in the virtual stamping world that you feel like you "know"? Maybe you don't even have any contact with them in the sense of emails, PM's, etc. I follow Julia Stainton's blog, Belle Papier, regularly. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't even recognize my name, except maybe as somebody who comments on her blog occassionally. Well, she posted a couple of days ago that her mother has passed away after a lengthy illness. So, I made this sympathy card for her. Now I feel kind of silly, because I don't actually know her at all. I think I'll still send it if she's listed in the RAK group at Splitcoast. It's always good to know you've touched someone's life and she's concerned for you.

I started with the large swirl from Carte Postale. First, on vanilla card stock, I stamped in pale plum, then slightly up and left, I stamped again with Versamagic Jumbo Java and clear embossed. The medallion was stamped twice. I used the entire certainly celery piece and only the circle punched portion of the perfect plum piece. Two small holes punched in the center allowed me bring the knotted ribbon down through and around the card. The medallion's layered on chocolate chip and attached with dimensionals. The designer papers are from Stampin' Up!'s Enchante pack. The faux stitching is done with a chocolate chip marker and the green designer paper is covered in swirls done in Irridescent Ice Embossing Powder.

I used:
Stamps: Carte Postale, Close As A Memory
Ink: versamark, versamagic jumbo java, su! pale plum, perfect plum, certainly celery, choc chip
Paper: pale plum, choc chip, vanilla, Enchante
Other: Irridescent Ice and clear EP, dashes dots and checks green ribbon, unknow brown organdy ribbon, circle punch, Lasting Impressions brads, dimensionals

By the way, I really like the dimensionals I just picked up at Target's Dollar Spot. They're not too thick like the one's I buy at Michael's. Thanks so much for stopping by. It's much appreciated.

21 comments:

sophia landry said...

This is lovely and serene. And you are right, any prayer and sympathy in a time of grief is appreciated.

Rachel Hope said...

I feel the same way...as a matter of fact I did the same thing, then sat here wondering if I should send it...so I think we should Both send it

Sew Club said...

You're very sweet, and probably underestimating yourself! A whole lot of people know who you are, and your beautiful cards. I'm sure that she will be very touched by your sending this gorgeous card to her. Don't feel silly at all. Hugs!

Allison Rankin said...

I think you shouldn't feel weird at all...this is what is great about the community - everybody helps out in small but powerful ways! Great card, BTW!

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful card -- I'm sure she would appreciate you sending it!

Michele Kovack said...

I think she will greatly appreciate this beautiful card! I think we all need to know that there ARE people out there that do care! We ARE a community of wonderful women who cheer each other on...and even though she may not "know" you in the regular way, she still knows you care!

Karen said...

What a great elegant card

Unknown said...

Very pretty card and I'm sure she'll appreciate the effort and thoughts!

Unknown said...

Beautiful card, Bethany. I feel the same way about Julia. I know she will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Tami McBeain said...

I feel the same way about "knowing" people. We seem to connect, without actually "knowing" our stamping friends. I think you should send the card, I was wondering myself if I should send her a card. I'm sure she would be touched to know that we are thinking about her.

Rose Ann said...

This is so pretty, Bethany! I love the layout and colors...and everything about it! I'm sure she'll love it!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

What a gorgeous card, Bethany! Very elegant!

Heather P. said...

This is a beautiful card!

Shabbychick Junk said...

You are such a sweetheart. It has to be so very very hard for her and her family. BIG HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Your card is beautiful. Yes, I fell like I know both you and Julia. So many others too. Thanks for sharing that gorgeous card~
Hugs,
Gina K.

Shannan Teubner said...

Bethany, this is gorgeous! And no, it's not silly at all. I feel the exact same way about my Pretend Stamping Friends! It means a lot to know that someone is thinking of you, no matter who you are.
Ok, so back to the card...you've inspired me to get the Enchante paper back out and try again. Love this!!

Alli Miles said...

This is a beautiful card and how thoughtful of you. I am sue Julia would be happy to receive it. I know exactly what you mean about getting to know someone through blogging. But I have to agree with others...we would totally recognize your name.

Anonymous said...

Love this card - so pretty and soft! At this point, Julia will need all the support possible to get through this terrible event in her life - virtual friend or tangible friend, words of support are all the same.

Angie Z ~ Duckwaddlequack said...

Oh, this is so gorgeous! And so very sweet and thoughtful of you!
~Angie

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely gorgeous and Julia will appreciate this card! Of course she knows who you are! Good heavens! In that huge Splitcoast world you're one of the names that always stood out for me so I know it's the same for her. Her address is in the Smak the DD sticky in the Fan Club Forum.

Tanja said...

Definately send the card. It is so beautiful. It is wonderful that you shared your compassion for her in this way. From my experience, in times of grief, it really is the little things that mean the world.